Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A HOME FOR HARRY

~ Welcome to Petwarmers ~
http://www.petwarmers.com


You know the story -- Janet wasn't exactly looking for another
dog for herself. But one thing led to another, and guess what? Yep,
Harry found himself a loving home. You'll enjoy today's tale.


___________________________________________


A HOME FOR HARRY
by Janet F. Allen

In August 2006, our sweet little Brussels Griffon, Buddy, passed
away at the tender age of nine.
Earlier that same year, my father-in-law, Walter, had been
placed in a nursing home leaving my 84 year old mother-in-law,
Lillian, to live alone in her big old house. Walter died several
months later.
I felt like I should help fill some of the void and took to
spending more time with Lil. We went shopping and out to eat and my
husband and I would stop by often to visit. But I felt she needed
something more.
When I was driving home from a class at the local college, I
realized I was on the road that had an exit to the local humane
society. Even though I was skeptical about finding a small house dog
for Lil, I took my chances and made the exit.
Upon arriving I asked one of the volunteers who happened to be
outside if there were any small dogs available that I could look at
as a companion for an older adult. She directed me to one of the out
buildings. After a quick look, I decided that none of them would fit
the bill. While I was walking back to my car, the volunteer came to
me and in a low whisper said, "Go inside to the office and ask about
the little Shih Tzu."
I was a bit leery as to why she was being so secretive but I
went into the office anyway. The front desk person smiled at me and
after some whispering to another woman left the room and returned
with the cutest little Shih Tzu I'd ever seen. She said his name was
Harry and that he had belonged to an elderly lady who had been placed
in a nursing home. Since her family didn't want the responsibility
of a dog, they had dropped him off in hopes he would quickly be
adopted.
When I saw Harry, my first thought was maybe he was the runt of
a litter since he was so small for being four years old. When I
asked why he was still in their facility, I was told the previous
owners had let his hair grow long and matted and he didn't smell very
good and no one was giving him a second look. He had been at the
humane society for an unbelievable 3 weeks.
Finally one of the workers who had taken pity on him took him
home, bathed and groomed him. Harry now looked like a different dog.
I asked if I could hold him, they said yes and asked if I wanted to
fill out a "potential" adoption form that would add me to the list.
I said sure, why not.
I took Harry into the visitation room to talk to him and get
acquainted but he didn't seem to care one way or the other. He kept
looking at the door. I completed the application and returned to the
front desk carrying Harry. The lady then asked me if I would like to
take Harry outside for a potty walk. I said sure, why not, I have
time to do that.
While we were outside, unbeknownst to me, the lady was calling
our vet, Dr. Hemler. Dr. Hemler in turn had given us a rave review
so when I walked back to the office the lady immediately said,
"Congratulations, you can adopt Harry."
I was shocked. What happened to the "list?" I wasn't quite
ready to make that kind of decision since I had only stopped by to
window shop, so to speak. But it didn't take me long to change my
mind when I saw another young girl was very interested in the little
dog I was holding. Before I knew it, I was paying the $95 adoption
fee and walking out the door with a scared little dog for my
mother-in-law wondering what in the world my husband was going to
think.
Arriving home, my husband took one look at Harry and I knew by
his behavior and attitude that he was smitten. I didn't let on
though because I didn't want another dog. It was too soon. This dog
was supposed to be for my mother-in-law. It had barely been three
months and I was still grieving. I had finally gotten to the point
where I could go through a whole day without crying for my beloved
Buddy.
Well, Harry never did make it to my mother-in-law's house.
At first, I refused to take him for walks, feed him, or even
play with him. I left that to my husband since he was the one who
ruined my plan. I couldn't believe how quickly he had taken to
another fur baby. I was still heartbroken and missing my Buddy and
didn't want another to take his place. But as they say, time heals
all wounds and a cute little fuzzy face with liquid brown eyes helps
too.
It took me about a month to develop a relationship with Harry.
Harry would lay on the back of the couch and just watch my every move
like he was sizing me up. What I didn't know was he had already
picked me as his person and was just waiting for the opportunity to
make his move.
So that's the way it is. Harry lives with us but my
mother-in-law babysits every chance she gets. It has worked out
wonderfully for everyone involved.
Once Harry was in our home, I couldn't help myself. I gradually
let him establish a place in our family. Although Harry will never
take Buddy's place, he made me realize that I have enough room in my
heart to love another fur baby who desperately needed a family.
It's amazing the healing that comes from loving.

-- Janet F. Allen

___________________________________________
Janet lives in Webster Groves, MO.
___________________________________________


DALMATIAN'S DUTIES

A nursery school teacher was delivering a station wagon full of
kids home one day when a fire truck zoomed past. Sitting in the
front seat of the truck was a Dalmatian dog.
The children started discussing the dog's duties.
"They use him to keep crowds back," said one child.
"No," said another, "he's just for good luck."
A third child brought the argument to a close. "They use the
dogs," she said firmly, "to find the fire hydrants!"

___________________________________________


DOG TIRED

An old, tired-looking dog wandered into the yard. I could tell
from his collar and well-fed belly that he had a home. He followed
me into the house, down the hall, and fell asleep in a corner.
An hour later, he went to the door, and I let him out.
The next day he was back, resumed his position in the hall, and
slept for an hour.
This continued for several weeks.
Curious, I pinned a note to his collar: "Every afternoon your
dog comes to my house for a nap."
The next day he arrived with a different note pinned to his collar:
"He lives in a home with ten children and is trying to catch up
on his sleep. Can I come with him tomorrow?"

___________________________________________


LOST CAT RETURNED HOME AFTER NINE YEARS
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080910/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_britain_cat;_ylt=AngDSiXviI2q_z8DuuIs9KUuQE4F


To JOIN (it's free!), send an email to:
join@petwarmers.com

To DISCONTINUE, send an email to:


Petwarmers Message Board
http://www.eboards4all.com/09780/

Petwarmers homepage, ad info and archives:
http://www.petwarmers.com

To JOIN our sister publication, Heartwarmers,
send an email to: join@heartwarmers.com

Here's where Petwarmers gets its ink:
http://www.pocketwarmers.com/b

Note: Nothing here may be reproduced or published in
any way without the express permission of the
individual authors and/or copyright owners.


Petwarmers, 504 Morgan Drive, Lewiston, NY 14092


Your membership is listed as: XXXXXXXX

This is a recurring email from a double opt-in mailing list.

Our records show you voluntarily signed up for this mailing list,
and also replied to our confirmation email.

You may leave at any time by following the instructions above.

If you have troubles getting off this mailing list, please print
a copy of this message, including the list name and your email
address, and mail it to

Listmaster
mail-list.com
1302 Waugh Dr. #438
Houston, TX 77019
USA

got this via email..

0 comments:

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com