Tuesday, June 10, 2008

~ Welcome to Petwarmers ~

~ Welcome to Petwarmers ~
http://www.petwarmers.com


Jack was a pirate all right! But it wasn't until Jeanne was
able to lend a hand that things started to change in his life for the
better.
He had a very rough start. This story brings to light several
issues, including breeder responsibilities, the mental stability of
dog hoarders, and the dreadful topic of de-barking.
Fortunately, Jack found a loving home and enjoys getting into mischief.
Thanks Jeanne for sharing Jack's tale.
___________________________________________


SHIPWRECKED PIRATE
by Jeanne K Davis

As a dog trainer I see a lot of dogs at work. I have the
privilege of working with many different dogs and love them all.
But my passion is for sighthounds. I've been volunteering for
Greyhound rescue for 15 years and have fostered nearly 50 and adopted
nine of these lithe, graceful dogs. I also share my life with a
rescued Whippet and a beautiful rescued Borzoi girl named Nadya. So
whenever I see a sighthound, I'm drawn to it.
The day I met Jack Sparrow was a turning point in my life.
He came in with a girl who had just adopted him from his breeder
four days earlier. Jack is a wire haired Ibizan Hound and quite
rare. (Beezers look a little like red and white Greyhounds with very
large ears.)
The girl told me that he and his brother had been sold to a
woman up north who, as it turned out, had 80 dogs -- unbeknownst to
the breeder!
The woman had also had both of the boys debarked! Their vocal
cords had been cut to quiet their voices. When Jack barks he sounds
as if he has a sore throat. They both also had such bad untreated
food allergies that when they came back to the breeder, she thought
they had mange!
They were both treated, and Jack got back to a condition where
he only had one bald patch left on his side when the girl adopted
him. However, that patch was and red and scabby. I also noticed
that he was at least 10 pounds underweight.
About a week later, I got a call from Jack's young adopter. "My
German Shepherd hates Jack! She tries to kill him every day and it's
getting worse. How do I make her like him?"
I told her, "You can't MAKE her like him! Either she will or
she won't. You don't like everyone you meet, do you?" I also told
her that I could only see two options for her -- either keep them
separated for the rest of their lives or return him to the breeder
for rehoming.
She decided that rehoming would be the answer for Jack and she
asked me if I would take him. I told her I'd take him in a heartbeat
but she'd have to ask the breeder if it was OK. The next day, Jack's
breeder, Teresa called me. It was OK with her and I made
arrangements with Jack's adopter to meet and make the exchange.
When Jack walked into my house all six of my dogs rushed him
with noses twitching and sniffed him all over. He acted as if he was
a long lost brother finally coming home! It took about a week to get
the angry red bald patch on his side to heal and start growing hair
and he put weight on fast.
He is now the sleek and elegant Ibizan hound he was meant to be.
And what a sense of humor this dog has! Teresa told me that
beezers are the party boys of the sighthound world. She was so right!
Two weeks after arriving at my house, Jack stole a 5 pound roast
right off the top of my stove! I had put it up there to cool and let
my guard down.
I have a lot of big dogs and I didn't want to unjustly accuse
anyone, so there I was sniffing each dog's breath for the telltale
hint of beef! When I got to Jack, he still had grease on his chin!
I pointed at him and said, "IT WAS YOU! YOU..."
Jack sat looking up at me with his golden eyes, wagging his tail
and telling me, "But Dude! It was sooo good!"
I just can't stay mad at this guy! Besides, I figured the two
days of stomach upset he was facing would be punishment enough.
My sister said it best... "Well, Jack Sparrow WAS a pirate!"

-- Jeanne K Davis

___________________________________________
Jeanne says, "I live in Montrose, Pennsylvania, with my seven dogs
and my daughter. I am a dog trainer by trade and a pet artist by
night. I have had previous stories published in Petwarmers --
Margery's Meatloaf and Nadya's Hope."
___________________________________________

got this via email...

Petwarmers homepage, ad info and archives:
http://www.petwarmers.com

0 comments:

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com