Wednesday, July 23, 2008

~ Welcome to Heartwarmers ~

~ Welcome to Heartwarmers ~
http://www.heartwarmers.com
The best thing to happen to mornings since the Sun!

Your morning thought for the day:
I have never been especially impressed by the
heroics of people who are convinced they are
about to change the world. I am more awed by
those who struggle to make one small difference
after another.
-- Ellen Goodman

Today Roger tells us about a remarkable woman that you probably
have never heard of before -- a simple, yet inspirational and
courageous woman who had a tremendous impact saving thousands of
Jewish children in World War II.

____________________________________________

IRENA SENDLER
by Roger Dean Kiser

I was eating dinner in my recliner and watching the television
news when I saw this strange, almost comical looking woman.
I decided to change the channel but my remote stopped working so
I was forced to watch the news segment.
Within minutes, tears filled my eyes when I realized the woman
they were reporting on was an honest to goodness hero.
I had never heard of Irena Sendler -- a woman who saved the
lives of 2,500 children who were scheduled to be killed by the Nazis
during World War II. She had both her legs and feet broken by
soldiers while trying to save the lives of children.
As thousands were being killed, the children of total strangers
were given false identities and placed in homes, orphanages and
convents. Irena Sendler carefully noted, in coded form, the original
names of the children and their new identities. She kept the only
record of their true identities in jars buried beneath an apple tree
in a neighbor's backyard, across the street from German barracks,
hoping she could someday dig up the jars, locate the children and
inform them of their past and true identities.
In all, the jars contained the names of 2,500 children.
Are there any Irenas or Schindlers left among us today?
Is that funny and sort of weird looking character down at the
local super market or the gas station the one who might save our
children should such a terrible occasion arise in the future?
As of today, I will do my best to try and treat others with a
little more dignity and respect. I now realize that it might be the
pimple faced kid working at McDonald's or the over-weight individual
at the dry cleaners who might have the heart, guts and unselfish
compassion to save my offspring one day.
All I can say is that there are only a few true heroes and I thank them.
The jar has been found, the lid has been removed, and the lesson
has been found.

-- Roger Dean Kiser

____________________________________________
Until we read Roger's story, we had never heard of Irena either. She
passed away a couple of months ago on May 12, 2008, at age 98, in
Poland. Her family and many of the rescued children continue to tell
her story of courage and valor. There is a fascinating website we
encourage you to visit that can give you the whole story, including
how American high school students recently discovered her legacy and
created "The Life in Jar" project. You are welcome to learn more
here:
Homepage: http://www.irenasendler.org/
Life in a Jar Tour Schedule: http://www.irenasendler.org/events.asp
The Project Story: http://www.irenasendler.org/thestory.asp
____________________________________________

0 comments:

 
Blogger Templates by Wishafriend.com